Hugo Houle, an Athlete Powered
Hugo Houle of Sainte-Perpétue, QC was just 22 years old when he became the first Québecois to sign a contract with the AG2R La Mondiale team of the UCI World Tour, the highest level of professional cycling in the world. He has since pedalled his way to the gold medal in his favourite event, the Individual Time Trial, at the 2015 Pan American Games (Toronto) and was chosen to represent Canada at the 2016 Olympic Games (Rio de Janeiro) where he finished 21st in the same discipline. Hugo found success once again in 2017 at the Tour de Romandie (Switzerland) with a 29th place finish, his team’s best performance. Maple Products from Québec is proud to support this world-class road cyclist by providing him with the energy he needs to keep pushing his limits!
Get to Know Hugo Houle
Maple has always been a big part of my life, right from when I was very young. Every year at sugaring time, I’d put on my snowshoes and go out to collect the sap. Once the work was done, I’d earned the right to have a stick of taffy made in the snow. It was a family tradition.
I think maple is the best natural sugar. I make sure to pack this little treasure in my suitcase, no matter where I’m going. Maple is a part of my pro cycling diet every day at breakfast, during or after training, and in my recovery drinks.
So I’m really proud to be an ambassador for this classic and unique Québec product and represent it around the world.
I always need something sweet after a meal. Everybody knows I love to eat. Maple syrup does it for me every time. It’s natural and it’s healthy.
On stage races, 80% of my diet has to be pasta and white rice. For the other 20%, I spoil myself every morning with my maple oatmeal. It gradually became my own personal tradition, my magic potion. It gives me all the energy I need to take on whatever stage is ahead of me that day!
Love maple products too?
Then jump on this contest! You could win some buddy-time with professional cyclist Hugo Houle at a cooking workshop. Good luck to all!