Fuelled by nature
Whether they're amateurs or professionals, athletes often face complex food choices when trying to optimize their training sessions. To assist them in their search for nutrition solutions that fit their lifestyle, we've created Fuelled by NatureTM, a program that shows how maple can improve athletic performance.
More than just sugar
- All-natural maple syrup is an excellent substitute for sugar. It is a whole food rich with beneficial vitamins and minerals, including manganese, riboflavin, zinc and potassium.
- Maple syrup is a source of natural energy in the form of simple sugars that metabolize quickly into glucose and act as fuel when you exercise.
- Maple syrup contains 63 antioxidants. For example, a 60 ml (1/4 cup) serving of maple syrup has the same antioxidant power as a tomato or raw broccoli. Antioxidants protect cells against oxidative stress from free radicals produced during intense physical activity.
- Maple syrup is an excellent source of manganese and zinc, two minerals that are essential for muscle recovery. A 60 ml (1/4 cup) serving of maple syrup meets 100% of your daily requirement of manganese and 18% of the recommended daily value of zinc. Maple products contain more manganese and zinc than other sweeteners.
Maple and physical activity
- When taken before a workout, maple syrup provides the energy boost you need to meet your goal.
- And during long training sessions, maple syrup can help increase your stamina. Add it to homemade energy snacks and drinks for an instant pick-me-up so you can keep going strong.
- When consumed after your workout, maple syrup helps your body recover by replenishing your glycogen reserves.
- Maple syrup contains potassium, an electrolyte that helps balance fluids in the body and maintain normal muscle functions. The harder your workout, the more you need to replace the electrolytes lost as you sweat.
- Energy bars and drinks made with maple syrup are healthier choices than commercial products because maple syrup is a natural, authentic, unprocessed food with no colouring or preservatives.