VANILLA AND MAPLE CLEMENTINE MARMELADE
- 10 clementines, seeds removed with skin on and stalk removed
- 250 ml (1 cup) orange juice
- 500 ml (2 cups) maple syrup
(preferably golden for its delicate taste)
- 2 vanilla pods, sliced in half
- Make a few incisions on each clementine.
- Place in large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute.
- Drain and repeat step 2 two more times. (Blanching citrus fruits reduces bitterness.)
- Let the clementines cool down, and chop into small pieces. Return fruits to the pan, pour the orange juice and the maple syrup, and add the vanilla pods. Cook 1 hour over low heat and uncovered.
- Remove the vanilla pods, scrape them well and put the seeds back in the pan.
- Using a hand blender, grind the mixture in 3 or 4 pulses (some pieces must remain in the marmalade). Simmer for 1 hour, stirring regularly.
- Pour the marmalade into sterilized jars and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
This marmalade will be equally delicious with mandarins. Simply let the mandarins cool after the third blanching, cut them in half to remove the seeds, chop them into small pieces with a knife and continue the recipe as directed.