Starters and hors d'oeuvres
Spicy Maple Walnuts, Almonds, Pecans and Pistachios
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) ground cinnamon
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch of Basque chilli pepper (or Cayenne pepper)
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) maple syrup
- 500 ml (2 cups) walnuts, almonds, pecans, pistachios
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F).
- In a casserole, melt butter.
- Remove from heat and add spices and maple syrup. Mix well.
- Add nuts and coat them well in the spiced butter.
- Spread the nuts on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes (or until they turn a golden colour). Leave the oven door partially open during baking.
- Season with salt.
- Transfer the nuts into a large bowl and serve while they are still warm.