Oriental Stew with Maple Syrup
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) sesame oil
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) of each: finely chopped shiitake mushrooms (or other)
- 250 ml (1 cup) halved snow peas
- 250 ml (1 cup) finely chopped carrot
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 l (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) soya sauce
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) tomato paste
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) rice vinegar or cider
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground hot pepper – optional
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 – 225 g (1/2) block of firm tofu, cut into strips or diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. In a casserole, heat the oil on medium heat and gently brown the ginger, garlic and onion.
2. Add vegetables and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on low heat.
3. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
4. Meanwhile, combine the beaten egg with soya sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, maple syrup, hot pepper and coriander. Stir in the hot stock mixture.
5. Add the tofu and season to taste.
* For a thicker stew, add noodles or cooked rice.
ENERGY: 285 calories
PROTEIN: 13 g
CARBOHYDRATES: 29 g
FATS: 13 g
Excellent source of Vitamine A