Onion Compote with Dried Fruit and Maple Syrup
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 454 g (1 lb.) red onion, sliced thinly
- 190 ml (3/4 cup) maple syrup
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) red wine vinegar
- 4 dried apricots, diced
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) dried cranberries
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) golden raisins
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and then add the onions. When the onions are translucent, stir in the maple syrup and cook for 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and the dried fruit, then simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Allow to cool before pouring into an airtight container.
- Refrigerate for 4 weeks.
Serve as a condiment with meat, pâté or cheese.