Starters and hors d'oeuvres
Namafu–beef rolls with maple sauce
- 150 g thinly sliced beef
- 2 sticks namafu wheat gluten (sakura-fu)
- sesame oil as needed
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- pepper leaf buds to taste
- Flatten out the beef and wrap the namafu in the beef.
- . Heat the frying pan, then add the sesame oil and fry (1), turning the rolls in the pan to cook evenly.
- Add the sake, maple syrup and soy sauce and simmer until the sauce is thickened, mixing thoroughly.
- Cut into bite-size pieces and garnish with pepper leaf buds.
- “Once the meat has been evenly browned, add the sake to make it sizzle, drizzle with maple syrup and finish with the soy sauce.”
- “Maple syrup doesn’t burn, which is great. It gives the sauce a nice thick consistency.”
- Simmer the beef rolls in just enough sake, maple syrup and soy sauce to cover. Even though there is not a lot of sauce, it doesn’t burn, which is great.
Recipe developed by Ms Yoko Arimoto