Meatballs with Pork Shank
- 3 pork shanks
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) salt
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) freshly ground pepper
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, sliced into rounds
- Water, as needed
- 1.3 kg (2 1/2 lb) ground beef
- 1.3 kg (2 1/2 lb) ground pork
- 2 onions, chopped fine
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) ground cinnamon
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) ground cloves
- 250 ml (1 cup) toasted flour
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) butter
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 190 ml (3/4 cup) maple syrup
- 250 ml (1 cup) cold water
- In a large pot, combine the pork shanks, salt, pepper, onion and carrot; cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours. Remove the shanks from the broth and refrigerate them. Refrigerate the broth separately for several hours. When cool, remove the meat from the bones and skim the fat off the broth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground meats, onions and spices. Shape into balls and roll in toasted flour. Reserve the remaining the flour. In a small saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil and maple syrup. Remove from heat. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and brush with the maple mixture. Broil for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot, combine the meatballs and the defatted broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Make a slurry with the rest of the toasted flour and the cold water, and stir into the sauce. Add the meat from the shanks and simmer over low heat for another hour.