Meat pie with maple baklava style
- 45 ml (3 tablespoon) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 900 g (2 lb.) lean ground pork
- 250 ml (1 cup) pistachios, skinned and chopped, and 15 ml (1 tablespoon) for garnish
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) meat pie seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) maple syrup
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 8 sheets of phyllo dough
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) melted butter
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat and stirring, sauté onions and pork for 5 minutes. Add pistachios and spices, then season with salt and pepper. Bake for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let the forcemeat cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 ℃ (350 °F).
- Boil maple syrup and chicken broth in a saucepan. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Spread out the first sheet of phyllo dough on your work surface. Using a pastry brush, brush the sheet with melted butter, then cover with another sheet of phyllo. Repeat until you have used up all of the phyllo dough. Cut the dough in half lengthwise into two equal rectangles.
- Place the first rectangle in a rectangular oven dish (approx. 33 x 23 cm (13 x 9 in.)). Spread the forcemeat on top of the dough rectangle, then cover with the other rectangular half. Brush with butter, then cut into diamond shapes using a sharp knife. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Let the baklava cool for a few minutes, then drizzle with maple syrup. Garnish with pistachios.
Serve immediately with your favourite garden salad.