Maple Syrup Doughnuts
- 1 envelope (8 g) of dry yeast
- ½ cup of warm water
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of maple sugar
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 cups of maple syrup
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water in a bowl. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat the milk until it boils and pour into a large bowl. Add butter, salt and maple sugar and mix until dissolved. Add the yeast mixture.
- Add half of the flour and mix using a beater. Stir in the eggs. Gradually add the rest of the flour until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead adding more flour if it is sticky.
- Place in a buttered bowl and let rise until it doubles in size, for approximately 1 hr and 15 min.
- Knead for another minute and let rise for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough using a rolling-pin to a thickness of 1 cm (1/2 inch). Let rise for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oil in a deep fryer to 190°C (375°F).
- Form the doughnuts into desired shapes and drop into the oil.
- Meanwhile, bring the maple syrup to a boil in a pan. Once the doughnuts are golden in colour, remove from oil and place in the maple syrup. For a strong maple flavour, let the doughnuts sit in the hot mixture for 2 minutes. Place the doughnuts on a cooling rack and let cool. Decorate.
Garnish: Decorate with any maple syrup product (butter, sugar, maple sugar chips, taffy, mini candy, etc.)
GREAT GIFT IDEA! A box of maple syrup doughnuts makes a wonderful gift!