MAPLE SHORTCRUST PASTRY
- 500 ml (2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) maple sugar
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp.) salt
- 190 ml (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, cold, cut into chunks
- 90 ml (6 tbsp.) ice water (more, if needed)
- Mix flour, maple sugar and salt in food processor. Add the butter. Pulse a few times until butter is the size of large peas.
- Add the water and mix again until the dough just begins to form in the bowl. Add more water as needed.
- Remove dough from processor and form a 15 cm (6 in) square.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Begin the folding process on a floured work surface. Roll the dough into a rectangle of about 46 cm x 20 cm (18 in x 8 in). Fold the dough in two crosswise (as if closing a book). Fold in half again, the same way.
- Wrap once again in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Repeat these folding steps two more times, making sure to refrigerate for 1 hour each time. Use this dough to make the following recipes.
Watch the gourmet video at ilovemaple.ca
Refrigeration Time: 3 hr 30 min