Maple Rib Roast
- 2.2 kg (5 lb) rib roast, bone in
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 190 ml (3/4 cup) maple sugar
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) Dijon mustard
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) freshly black pepper, roughly ground
- Store-bought bordelaise sauce
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- In a roasting pan, place the roast, with the bones side up.Using a knife, make incisions in the fat. Season the entire surface with salt and pepper. Cover the ends of the bones with aluminium foil. In a bowl, combine maple sugar, mustard and baste the roast with the mixture.
- In another bowl, combine herbs and pepper and season the entire roast. Roast for 30 minutes to sear the meat. Reduce temperature to 150°C (300°F) and cook for another 2 hours for rare doneness.
- Wrap the roast in aluminum foil and let sit for 10 minutes prior to carving. Serve with bordelaise sauce.