- 125 ml (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 250 ml (1 cup) maple sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
Cream Cheese & Maple Icing
- 2 packages (250 g/8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) maple sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter, softened
- A few drops of food colouring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- For cake: Using an electric mixer, mix butter and maple sugar. Incorporate eggs one at a time, then set aside.
- In a bowl, sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt), then gradually add to butter mix, alternating with milk. Beat until dough has a smooth consistency.
- Line a muffin mold with paper cups, fill with batter and bake 25 to 30 minutes. Leave to cool before icing and decorating.
- For icing, in a bowl, combine all the ingredient except colouring. Using an electric mixer, beat until creamy and smooth. Add colouring if using, then frost cupcakes.
You wish to flavour your cake batter? It's easy!
- For vanilla cupcakes, add 10 ml (2 tsp)
vanilla extract at the same time as the eggs.
- For chocolate cupcakes, replace 125 ml (1/2 cup)
flour with the same amount of cocoa powder.
- For maple chip cupcakes, add 125 ml (1/2 cup)
maple sugar flakes at the end of step 3.
For chocolate icing, replace maple syrup with 300 g (10 oz) dark chocolate melted in a double boiler.