Maple crème brulée
- 500 ml of 35% cream (2 cups)
- 4 egg yolks
- 125 ml of maple syrup (1/2 cup)
- 5 ml of all purpose flour (1 teaspoon)
- 60 ml of grated maple sugar (1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
- Heat cream on low heat until it steams.
- Beat eggs with maple syrup and incorporate flour.
- Pour cream over egg yolks whisking continuously. Return the mixture to the saucepan and place on low heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Fill ramekins with preparation to 3/4 full.
- Place on oven-safe dish and fill with water until halfway up ramekins. Cook in the center of the oven until the cream is firm.
- Remove ramekins from water and let cool down to room temperature before placing them in the refrigerator.
- Once cooled down, sprinkle 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of sugar over the cream. Caramelize the sugar with a propane torch or place under the preheated broiler a few minutes.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve, preferably the same day, to prevent the caramelized sugar from returning to liquid form.
* It is very important to cool down crème brulée before caramelizing the sugar in the oven. If, on the other hand, a propane torch is used, the crème brulée can be caramelized when removed from the oven.