MAPLE-CARAMELIZED TOFU TREATS
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) orange juice
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) cider vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 block (350 g / 12 oz) firm tofu, cut into 2.5 cm (1 in) cubes
- Chia seeds
- Steak spices
- A few leaves of kale, blanched for 3 minutes in boiling salted water
- Vegetable oil
- In an airtight container or resealable freezer bag, combine all marinade ingredients, add tofu cubes, and refrigerate for 1 to 12 hours.
- Remove tofu from marinade and drain well on absorbent paper. Reserve the marinade.
- Roll one third of tofu cubes in chia seeds without coating all their sides, and set aside.
- Place another third of tofu cubes into the steak spices to coat one side of each, and set aside.
- Partially roll the rest of the cubes, individually, in the blanched kale leaves, and secure with toothpicks.
- In a large non-stick pan, over medium-high heat, brown the tofu cubes, a few at a time, in the oil for about 1 minute on each side. Repeat with all cubes, remove the toothpicks, and arrange nicely on a serving plate.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, reduce the reserved marinade by half. Pour into a dip container and serve with the tofu treats.
Refrigeration Time: 1 - 12 hours