Maple Candied Grapefruit Peel
- 3 medium pink grapefruit
- Water, as needed
- 750 ml (3 cups) maple syrup
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 115 g (4 oz.) dark 70% chocolate
- Maple flakes New Product! (sold in most supermarkets and specialty grocers)
- Divide each grapefruit into 8 sections.
- Gently remove the peels. Keep the fruit flesh for later use.
- Use a thin blade knife, remove and discard the white membrane, then cut the peels in two.
- In a large casserole, poach the peels in water for 30 minutes, drain them and put back in the casserole.
- Add maple syrup and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and gently simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, until the peels become translucent.
- Remove from heat and let cool Drain the peels in a strainer.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler and coat half of the peels in it.
- Transfer them onto waxed paper and sprinkle with maple flakes.