Maple & Butternut Mac "N" Cheese
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk, warmed
- 454 g (1 lb) macaroni
- 250 ml (1 cup) orange cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 ml (1 tsp) paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 250 ml (1 cup) mozzarella, grated
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion and squash in butter.
- Add maple syrup, then stir 1 minute before incorporating milk. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook macaroni until al dente. Drain and return pasta to the pan.
- In a blender, purée squash and onions into a smooth sauce.
- Pour over macaroni, add cheddar and paprika, then season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well, transfer into a buttered casserole dish, sprinkle with mozzarella and broil for a few minutes until cheese is golden.