Italian Meatballs with Tomato-Maple Sauce
- 680 g (1 1/2 lb) ground veal
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 3 slices of bread, crust removed, broken into crumbs
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 750 ml (3 cups) canned tomato sauce
(or homemade tomato sauce)
- In big bowl #1, combine the meat, green onions and garlic.
- In medium bowl #2, soak the bread crumbs in the milk, then add your mixture (it's a little like wet tissues) into the meat mixture in bowl #1.
- Form 10 big meatballs with your hands.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and sear the meatballs for a few minutes.
- Add the maple syrup, salt and pepper and let it cook about 3 minutes longer. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- In a saucepan, heat the tomato sauce to boiling. When it starts to go blurp, blurp, add the meatballs, cover and let simmer about 25 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of pasta or in a sub or however you want.