ITALIAN MAPLE MERINGUE MARSHMALLOWS
- Ingredients for Italian Maple Meringue base recipe (unmixed)
- 3 packets unflavoured gelatin
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) maple sugar
- Line a 22.5 cm (9 in) square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Begin preparation of the meringue base.
- Put maple syrup and orange juice into a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Boil over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 115°C (240°F).
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a stand mixer or bowl at medium speed, until soft peaks form.
- As the whites take form, mix the gelatin and water in a bowl. Allow to rest for 5 minutes and reserve.
- When the syrup reaches 115°C (240°F) on the candy thermometer, reduce mixer speed and continue to beat whites while drizzling half of the syrup on them.
- Add the rest of the hot syrup to the gelatin and stir well to dissolve.
- Beat this mixture with an electric mixer until it becomes a mousse.
- Combine mousse and meringue in the mixer, increase speed and beat for 5 to 7 minutes or until the meringue is warm and formed into very stiff peaks.
- Pour into the prepared pan and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Cut marshmallow into 12 cubes and roll them in the maple sugar.
Refrigeration Time: 15 min.
These marshmallows keep for one week in an airtight container at room temperature.