ITALIAN MAPLE MERINGUE
- 250 ml (1 cup) maple syrup
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) orange juice
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- Put maple syrup and orange juice into a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Boil over medium heat until temperature on a candy thermometer reads 115°C (240°F).
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a stand mixer or bowl at medium speed, until soft peaks form.
- When the syrup comes to temperature, reduce mixer speed and continue to beat whites while slowly drizzling the syrup on them.
- Then increase speed and beat for about 10 minutes or until the meringue is warm and formed into very stiff peaks.
Turn this base recipe for Italian maple meringue into three mouthwatering festive desserts:
Italian maple meringue and cranberry frosting
Italian maple meringue and orange mousse
Italian maple meringue marshmallows
Watch the gourmet video at ilovemaple.ca