Crunchy Maple Clusters
- 250 ml (1 cup) dates, chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 15 ml (1 tablespoons) maple sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 500 ml (2 cups) rolled oats
- 250 ml (1 cup) multigrain Cheerios
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) powdered skimmed milk
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) wheat germ
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) ground flaxseed
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) pecans
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F). Line the bottom of a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, combine the dates, water, maple sugar and maple syrup.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree using a food processor. In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Add the date mixture and mix well to coat all the ingredients.
- Spread over the sheet and flatten with a spatula.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until it turns golden.
- Freeze for 30 minutes to set the mixture. Break into pieces.
These granola mouthfuls are a delicious snack when out on a hike, or add them to some yogurt for an afternoon snack. Due to their higher fibre and protein content than most store-bought granola bars, these crunchy clusters are a better choice for providing the energy you need for that hardcore workout. As a bonus, the maple syrup contains minerals, such as zinc and manganese, which can assist in muscle recovery.
Per 60 ml serving (1/4 cup): 150 calories; 4 g protein; 4 g fat; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g fibre.