Chewy Maple Cream Cookies
Preparing the douch
- 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose unbleached flour
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) maple taffy
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) softened butter
- 1 egg
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) maple sugar
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) cinnamon
Maple butter cream
- 1 pack (250 g) soft cream cheese
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) maple butter
- Pinch of fine salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) cranberry jam
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream maple taffy and butter. Add egg and vanilla, then beat another 2 minutes. Add dry ingredients and fold in with a spatula. Set aside.
- Mix maple sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl, then set aside.
- Form little balls of dough of about 4 cm (1 ½"). Roll them in the maple sugar and cinnamon mixture. Arrange on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Leave to cool on a rack.
- Prepare the cream. Using an electric mixer, cream together cream cheese, maple butter and salt.
- Spread half of cooled cookies with cranberry jam and the other half with maple butter cream. Stick the two halves together. Decorate as desired.