Starters and hors d'oeuvres
Braised semi-dried radish
- 1 daikon radish
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) Canadian maple syrup (extra light or light; medium or amber may also be used according to your preference)
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) sesame oil
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) sake
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) soy sauce, divided
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- Leaving the skin on, cut the radish into half-moon slices that are about 2 cm (3/4 in.) thick. Spread out in a sieve basket and set aside to dry for 2 days along with the radish leaves.
- Heat the sesame oil in a pan, arrange the radish slices in the pan and lightly fry both sides until golden brown.
- Add sake to the pan and let simmer. Add 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of the soy sauce, followed by the maple syrup and then the water. Lower the heat, cover with a drop-lid (or a lid that fits inside the pan and rests directly on the food) and simmer until the sauce reduces.
- Add the remaining 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of soy sauce. Chop the radish leaves and stir into the sauce.
- Simmer to blend flavours.