Bittersweet Chocolate - Maple Syrup Pot de Crème
- 10 ml (2 tsp) neutral gelatin powder
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) cold water
- 250 ml (1 cup) 35% cream
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 60 g (2 oz) bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 2 egg yolks
- 1% Milk (enough to make froth)
- Fine maple sugar
Soak gelatin in cold water for 2 minutes and set aside. Mix cream and maple syrup in a small heavy pot and bring to a boil. Add the chocolate and egg yolks. Heat the reserved gelatin for a few seconds in the microwave and add to the pot. Pour the maple-chocolate cream into glasses, bowls or ramekins. Allow to set. Top with milk froth and fine maple sugar.
You can substitute milk chocolate for the dark bittersweet. Enjoy this dessert with a well-chilled ice cider.