ALL DRESSED MAPLE CREAM FUDGE
- 1 can (540 ml/19 oz.) maple syrup
(preferably golden for its delicate taste)
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 250 ml (1 cup) 35 % cream
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 10 pretzels, in pieces
- 190 ml (3/4 cup) dark chocolate, in chips or chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) dried cranberries
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) pistachios, shelled and chopped
- In a large saucepan, bring the maple syrup and butter to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream and continue cooking until candy thermometer reaches 118 °C (245 °F).
- Meanwhile, butter a 33 x 23 cm (13 x 9 in.) baking sheet or pan and set aside.
- Remove the preparation from the heat and stand for 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla and beat with a whisk for 5 minutes until thick.
- Pour the mixture on the baking sheet or into the pan and let cool 2 minutes before sprinkling the surface with pretzels, chocolate, cranberries and pistachios.
- Cut into squares without removing from pan and allow cooling for 2 to 3 hours.
- Once the cream fudge has cooled down, cut the squares over the previous marks and unmold.
For an even more festive version, decorate with maple flakes.